“But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.” 2 Tim. 2:20-21
“For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence.” 1 Cor. 1: 26-29
Have you ever felt like there is no way possible that God can use someone like you? Like you are plain and simple just too messed up? Like you’re too broken? Like there are a zillion people around the world He can use who don’t have challenges like you do, who don’t make the kind of mistakes you make, who are much closer to perfect than you could ever be? Like obviously the Lord is just going to look right past you and pick absolutely anyone beside you to use because there’s really no potential for someone like you to be used by God – in any kind of meaningful way anyway?
Rest assured you’re not alone if you’ve ever had these thoughts, and I readily confess I have countless times felt far too messed up for God to possibly use someone like me. But this is what the Lord has shown me, and this is what I share with you now.
* The ONLY perfect person who has ever walked this earth is THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. Jesus’ followers are NOT perfect. We are following Him and being PERFECTED by His Spirit as we follow Him.
* God uses “earthen vessels” so HE CAN GET ALL THE GLORY – not us!
* God uses the foolish, the base, the people oftentimes who seem in the world’s eyes least likely to be used by God as HE SHOWS FORTH HIS GLORY in and through us.
* God GIVES US EVERY SINGLE THING WE NEED to be used by Him whereby we don’t have to and should not anyway trust in ourselves but need to continually PUT OUR TRUST IN JESUS.
* Throughout the entire Bible God uses people in beautiful, powerful, mighty, amazing ways who are nothing more than imperfect and ordinary human beings with trials and struggles and troubles just like we have – even with struggles with sin.
* God uses people who are DEVOTED TO HIM, WILLING, AVAILABLE, OBEDIENT, and WHO REPENT WHEN THEY DO WRONG as He conforms them to Himself. He even uses people who are UNWILLING, UNAVAILABLE, DISOBEDIENT, and WHO DO NOT REPENT and REFUSE TO BE CONFORMED TO HIM – but this is not the category in which we should fall! For the latter comes with the great costly wretched price of rebellion and disobedience.
Our flesh, and this world, and Satan, and sometimes even well meaning Christ followers may come against us – even very hard – and try to convince us we can’t be used by God.
But those of us who live to love and worship and serve and obey and glorify God, and desire to be used by Him to bring Him glory, we need to strive to let nothing – and nobody – stop us from being God’s imperfect human vessels through whom He can show forth His unfathomable and forever magnificent glory!