“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.” Eph. 2:8-10
“This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm constantly, that those who have believed in God should be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men.” Titus 3:8
“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” Mt. 5:16
Ready for three warnings about good works? Okay, here goes.
1. GOOD WORKS cannot earn us God’s love, forgiveness, and everlasting life because we can never be and do enough to measure up to the Lord. We receive a forever relationship with God when we repent and believe Christ is Lord and died on the cross to pay our sin penalty and was raised from the dead whereby we turn from a lifestyle of sin and worldly ways to a lifestyle of living for Christ according to God’s ways.
2. GOOD WORKS should RESULT from a lifestyle of believing in and living for Christ whereby through the Spirit of Christ living in us who follow Jesus we learn day by day how to produce the fruit of righteous living whereby GOOD WORKS are borne.
3. GOOD WORKS are not produced so we can bring glory to ourselves but so we can give God the glory for what HE DOES IN AND THROUGH US TO BRING GLORY TO HIS NAME!
How are these warnings?
1. A warning against trying to measure up by GOOD WORKS to God instead of placing our faith in and receiving Christ as Lord.
2. A warning against putting our faith in Christ as Lord and then not diligently day by day learning how to live in a way pleasing to God led by His Spirit according to His Word so GOOD WORKS are borne.
3. A warning against TAKING THE GLORY for the GOOD WORKS that are borne from us through Christ instead of GIVING GOD THE GLORY to whom ALL GLORY BELONGS.
This all runs contrary to the flesh and the world’s ways, doesn’t it? This is why we need the warnings, is it not?
LET US BELIEVE IN CHRIST.
LET US FOLLOW CHRIST.
LET US LIVE FOR CHRIST.
LET US BEAR FRUIT FOR CHRIST.
LET US GIVE CHRIST THE GLORY FOREVER & EVER AMEN!